Where You Go When You Want to Think

This site has excerpts of my novel-in-progress, Hot Love on the Wing, as well as thoughts on post postmodernism, avant garde art, literature, music, and the community of artists in Bushwick and New York.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Food in Daniel Adler's Kustlerroman

  It's incredible how food can show love and reveal a person’s character. “Oh you don't eat meat?” We probably won't be good friends. It's nothing personal against vegetarians or vegans, but it's a major difference in paradigm. How when we have canines made for ripping into meat can you shun it as if it's unnatural? I'm sure you have a good answer. But better yet, how can we enjoy a meal together when you are eating a meal without the weight, the chutzpah of mine?  Give me a meat-eating, spicy food loving girl any day of the week. She's adventurous, likes a bit of pain, and knows about tolerance.

Being lactose intolerant or having celiac disease I could probably forgive, but I'd still look at you a little funny. When people are picky though, that's when I know that we can't be friends. Once I went out with a girl who said she didn't like eggs. You don't like eggs? Then how are you going to make them for me in the morning?  After our first date I walked her home, and knew that this would never materialize, even though I stayed with her for more than two months. I should have listened to my gut. Always listen to your gut.

Personally I'm not a fan of celery. But recently it's been growing on me. In dips or soups, you know. I'll eat anything because I'm adventurous and I like different flavors, consistencies, textures. People bond over food, and rightly so. What else can you ingest and release? Drinks, check. Smoke, check. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment