Where You Go When You Want to Think

This site has excerpts of my novel-in-progress, Hot Love on the Wing, as well as thoughts on post postmodernism, avant garde art, literature, music, and the community of artists in Bushwick and New York.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

PBR: Why It Is So Loved


Pabst Blue Ribbon is one of the shitty beers Brooklyn hipsters cherish. Now don’t get me wrong, I love PBR for all its $10 hangover-inducing glory, but for around a dollar a can, there are cheaper beers out there. But PBR is the cheapest, and most widely available. That means the drunkest.

In the Oregon woods, Natty Light is common. If you're around people who know the slight differences between shitty beers, you might be offered a Keystone Light. But when I find myself with  PBR in hand, I feel like I'm sipping royally. I am a happy camper.

Coors Light is for football games with the family, Bud Light is for the Bridge and Tunnel crowd at MacFadden's. But  2 PBRs for $5 at a bar? Mowrnow. I'll take 'em.

Why is PBR so good? Well, part of it comes from the fact that it’s so damn American. They sponsor rodeos, they’re from Milwaukee, and it’s not Lite. The can is red, white and blue for chrissakes! And that golden, hoppy flavor is arguably better than Budweiser or Coors. Since it’s cheaper, it’s the obvious winner among younger folks.

Being a writer means that I have to be familiar with all of the most singular details. We can discuss cabernet sauvignon, or American lagers. Right now, it seems like the latter makes more sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment